The MG VA, or MG 1½ litre as it was originally marketed, wasmanufactured between February 1937 and September 1939 and was thesmallest of the three sports saloons produced in the late 1930s byMG; the others being the SA and WA. The car used a tuned version ofthe push-rod, overhead valve, four-cylinder Morris TPBG type enginethat was also fitted to the Wolseley 12/48 and Morris 12. The MGversion had twin SU carburettors and offered an impressive 54bhpvia a four-speed manual gearbox with synchromesh on the top threeratios. Nineteen-inch wire wheels were fitted and the ten-inch drumbrakes were hydraulically operated using a Lockheed system.Suspension was by half-elliptic springs all round with a live rearaxle and beam front axle; Luvax shock absorbers were fitted, therear ones adjustable from the dashboard. In-built hydraulic jackswere standard. Handsomely styled and more useful than theirdiminutive TA sports cars, the VA was usually fitted with saloonbodywork although a Tickford drophead body was also offered inaddition to a four-seat tourer which was the most rakish body withits cut down doors. The British Motor magazine tested a VA tourerwhich reached a top speed of just over 76mph; with the windscreenfolded down the top speed increased to nearly 82mph.Manufactured on 26th July 1939 and, since 1990, owned by the latevendor who was the Chairman and then President, of the SVW Registerfor 14 years, this MG VA tourer is accompanied by a host ofpaperwork and invoices including a V5 document and correspondencefrom the MG car club. TYJ342 is a car that has been well used andenjoyed rather than tucked away under a cover and, as such,presents in a thoroughly ''working'' condition. The interior appearsto have been restored some 20 years ago and the VA has been wellcared for mechanically. Regularly appearing at rallies and shows,this pre-war MG tourer will always attract attention, be it on theopen road or at a classic car meet.