Bookmark and Share
CCG Feed Button
Quick Car Search 
 
1972 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS (1)
Tuesday, 30th September, 2014
Latest News
  • DEALERS & TRADERS Advertise for FREE!! XML Feed?? Tell us where to find it and we will do the rest!

  • FORUM - Our Forum is now online! Discuss everything Classic Cars, Muscle Cars, Hot Rods and more..

  • DEALERS! - Never upload another Ad again with the CCG Automated Feeds - Contact us NOW!

  • Subscribe to the CCG RSS feeds to get Classic Cars delivered directly to your desktop!

  • BLOGGING - We post Classic, Exotic and Muscle Cars that YOU would like to own!

  • TWITTER - follow us and receive instant updates!

  • 35 Languages Translated 33 Currencies Converted Visitors from over 170 different countries!!

  • 40,000 NEW Classic and Collector Car enthusiasts discover the CCG website EVERY month!!

  • Hello and welcome to ClassicCarsGlobal.com - The only truly GLOBAL Classic Car site on the Internet!

Further Details - Click Here! Sample Listing
1900-1929
1925 Ford T-Bucket 355 V8
1930-1949
1936 Ford V8 68 TUDOR SEDAN DELUXE
1950-1969
1967 Chevrolet Chevelle
1970-1989
1977 MG B MGB 1.8 met overdrive
1990-Present
1970 Mercedes-Benz 280SE Low Grille Coupe
MUSCLE
1965 Dodge Coronet
PRESTIGE
1959 Ford Galaxie Sunliner
EXOTIC
1984 Porsche 911 Carrera
And More...
1950 Harley Davidson FL Pandhead with Sidecar
YOUR SECURITY!
TOP SEARCHES
(Last 7 Days)
LAST VIEWED
Classic cars global logo
dealer
Oldtimerfarm BVBA
Bookmark and Share

1932 Lagonda 2 Litre Open Tourer 

Also Sells Your Oldtimer or Classic Car..

USD 209,459
SOLD
Click on image to ENLARGE
 
BE

Country State / Province City / Town Zip / Postal Code
Belgium Oost Vlaanderen Aalter B-9880

Listed under categories:

 


Overview
Color Exterior:  
Color Interior:
Odometer: N/A
LHD/RHD N/A
Transmission: N/A
Convertible: N/A
Advert No: 132673



Description:

70 bhp. chassis nr OH10055; plat : DPP37 The Lagonda history (from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Lagonda is a British luxury car marque established in 1906, which has been owned by Aston Martin since 1947. Lagonda was founded as a company in 1906 in Staines, Middlesex, by an American, Wilbur Gunn (1859–1920), a former opera singer of Scottish ancestry. He named the company after Lagonda Creek near Springfield, Ohio, the town of his birth. He had originally built motorcycles on a small scale in the garden of his house in Staines with reasonable success including a win on the 1905 London—Edinburgh trial. In 1907 he launched his first car, the 20 hp, 6-cylinder Torpedo, which he used to win the Moscow–St. Petersburg trial of 1910. This success produced a healthy order for exports to Russia which continued until 1914. In the pre-war period Lagonda also made an advanced small car, the 11.1 with a four-cylinder 1000 cc engine, which featured an anti-roll bar and a rivetted monocoque body and the first ever fly-off handbrake. The ratchet control button on the end of a fly-off handbrake is designed to work in the opposite way to what is normally accepted. If the lever is lifted or pulled back to the "on" position, on letting go it immediately releases unless the end button is pressed and held in place before letting go of the lever. Once set, the brake is released by lifting the handbrake lever (not pushing the button) in the setting direction (up or back). This mechanism was traditionally fitted to sports cars to facilitate a racing get-away, such as at traffic lights. It can also be used to help the back wheels to slide, without the worry of the ratchet leaving the brake on. Between the wars After the end of the war the 11.1 continued with a larger 1400-cc engine and standard electric lighting as the 11.9 until 1923 and the updated 12 until 1926. Following Wilbur Gunn''s death in 1920, three existing directors headed by Colin Parbury took charge. The first of the company''s sports models was launched in 1925 as the 14/60 with a twin-cam 1954-cc 4-cylinder engine and hemispherical combustion chambers. The car was designed by Arthur Davidson who had come from Lea-Francis. A higher output engine came in 1927 with the 2-litre Speed Model which could be had supercharged in 1930. A lengthened chassis version, the 16/65, with 6-cylinder 2.4-litre engine, was available from 1926 to 1930. The final car of the 1920s was the 3-litre using a 2931-cc 6-cylinder engine. This continued until 1933 when the engine grew to 3181 cc and was also available with a complex 8-speed Maybach transmission as the Selector Special. A new model for 1933 was the 16-80 using a 2-litre Crossley engine with pre-selector gearbox from 1934. A new small car, the Rapier came along in 1934 with 1104-cc engine and pre-selector gearbox. This lasted until 1935 but more were made until 1938 by a separate company, David Napier and Son of Hammersmith, London. At the other extreme was the near 100 mph, 4.5-litre M45 with Meadows-supplied 6-cylinder 4467-cc engine. An out and out sporting version the M45R Rapide, with tuned M45 engine and a shorter chassis achieved a controversial Le Mans victory in 1935. Also in 1935 the 3-litre grew to a 3.5-litre. All was not well financially and the receiver was called in 1935, but the company was bought by Alan P. Good, who just outbid Rolls-Royce. He also persuaded W. O. Bentley to leave Rolls-Royce and join Lagonda as designer along with many of his racing department staff. The 4.5-litre range now became the LG45 with lower but heavier bodies and also available in LG45R Rapide form. The LG45 came in 3 versions known as Sanction 1, 2 and 3 each with more Bentley touches to the engine. In 1938 the LG6 with independent front suspension by torsion bar and hydraulic brakes came in. Bentley''s masterpiece the V12 was launched in 1937. The 4480-cc engine delivered 180 bhp and was said to be capable of going from 7 to 105 mph in top gear and to rev to 5000 rpm. The car was exhibited at the 1939 New York Motor Show: "The highest price car in the show this year is tagged $8,900. It is a Lagonda, known as the "Rapide" model, imported from England. The power plant is a twelve-cylinder V engine developing 200 horsepower." In 1947 the company was taken over by David Brown and moved in with Aston Martin, which he had also bought, in Feltham, Middlesex. The old Staines works at Egham Hythe passed to Petters Limited, in which A.P. Good had acquired the controlling interest. Production restarted with the last model from W. O. Bentley, the 1948 2.6-Litre with new chassis featuring fully independent suspension. Its new 2580 cc twin overhead cam straight 6 became the basis for the Aston Martin engines of the 1950s. The engine grew to 3 litres in 1953 and continued to be available until 1958. Many thought that the marque had disappeared but in 1961 the Rapide name was resurrected with aluminium body by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan and 3995 cc engine capable of taking the car to 125 mph. By this time, Aston Martin-Lagonda as it now was, had moved to Newport Pagnell in Buckinghamshire. The Rapide lasted until 1965. Between 1974 and 1976, seven Lagonda saloons were produced on the basis of the Aston Martin V8. One more car was to appear with the large and futuristic Aston Martin Lagonda of 1976 designed by William Towns. This low, rather square, wedge shaped car was built on Aston Martin V8 components and was available, at least in theory, until 1989. Aston Martin produced a concept car called the Lagonda Vignale at the 1993 Geneva motor show. During 1993-1994, a handful of Lagonda 4-door saloons and shooting brakes were built on the basis of the Aston Martin Virage. They could be ordered with the 5.3 liter V8 (310 HP) or the 6.3 liter V8 (500 HP). Production numbers Lagonda Saloon (8 or 9 cars), Lagonda Shooting Brake 5-doors (1 or 2 cars). Aston Martin said on 1 September 2008, as reported by Automotive News Europe that it will relaunch its Lagonda brand to help it expand into new markets such as luxury sedans and celebrate Lagonda''s centennial anniversary in 2009. "The Lagonda brand would allow us to develop cars which can have a different character than a sports car," said CEO Ulrich Bez in a statement. "Lagonda will have its own niche with luxurious and truly versatile products suitable for both existing and emerging markets". "Lagonda models would be vehicles that could be used all year round in markets such as Russia where specialized sports cars such as Aston Martins could only be used for three or four months each year", said Aston Martin spokeswoman Janette Green. The Rapide name was revived in 2010 as the Aston Martin Rapide saloon. Aston Martin confirmed the revival of the Lagonda brand on March 9, 2011. The new range will initially consist primarily of high-end SUVs. Specifications Bodywork Length : 415 cm (163.5 in) Width : 167 cm (66 in) Wheelbase : 305 cm (120 in) Engine Straight-four 1954 cc (119 ci), front-mounted 8 valves, 1 carburettor ± 70 bhp Maximum speed (est.) : 130 km/h (80 mph)


Advert URL: http://www.classiccarsglobal.com/ad.asp?ad=132673

 

 

 


 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional                                                                         

                                                            Copyright © 2008-2013: ClassicCarsGlobal.com - all rights reserved.