Vehicle to be offered for Auction sale August 15th-17th at Russo and Steele''s 13th Annual Monterey, California Auction. Please contact us for more information.This historic 1949 Ferrari 166 MM Berlinetta is a particularly striking example of the storied marque’s very first road-going Sports/GT series, the 166 Inter. Only 37 were produced in all between 1949 and 1953, with all built in chassis form by Ferrari and cloaked in custom bodywork by the most renowned Italian coachbuilders of the era. Just 10 of them – exemplified by the striking Berlinetta offered here, numbered 037 S – were fitted with elegant yet sporting coachwork by the house of Stabilimenti Farina, the Farina family’s coachbuilding firm, where a young but soon-to-be-famous Battista “Pinin” Farina learned his craft. A development of the competition 125 and 166 Sport, the 166 Inter was a thinly disguised racing car for the road, as Enzo Ferrari was not yet committed to road-car production. However, the time was ripe for a road car from Ferrari, given the Scuderia’s stellar victory record since it was established in 1940 In typical Ferrari fashion, its “166” model designation denoted the swept volume of each of the Gioacchino Colombo-designed 2.0-liter engine’s 12 cylinders, while the “Inter” moniker was bestowed upon it in tribute to the racing victories earned by Scuderia Inter for Ferrari during the late 1940s. This wonderful example is the 16th of the 166 Inter series produced according to its 037 S chassis number, and it is the 7th of the 10 Stabilimenti Farina-bodied cars. According to its known history, 037 S was purchased new in 1949 by Mario Piazza of Trieste, Italy. Early in its life, the original engine, also numbered 037 S, was given a displacement increase to the 2.5-liter engine specification of Ferrari’s subsequent 212 model, and the car’s original single twin-choke carburetor was changed to a triple twin-choke Weber setup at this time. Next, it was sold to one Mr. Tamorri of Rome and then by 1954, 037 S was exported to the USA, and it passed through owners in Colorado, Michigan, and then California, before being acquired by Hollywood, California’s Jerry Rosenstock, who retained the car until October 31, 1986. Under Mr. Rosenstock, 037 S was profiled in the July 1971 Ferrari Owners’ Club newsletter. The Ferrari passed through two more owners and then in April 1987, the UK’s Lord Charles Brocket, under whom the car was fully restored and the car was refinished in its present colors, acquired it. In June and July 1997, 037 S passed through John Collins’ Talacrest Ltd. to Peter Agg, under whom the Ferrari was featured in the May 1999 edition of the UK’s Thoroughbred & Classic Cars magazine, and then in August that year, it was shown at Concorso Italiano in Carmel, California.Owned by more noted collectors over the intervening years, including Edgar Schermerhorn of Delft, Holland, from May 2000 to August 2010, during which time 037 S was toured and shown, and it was also featured in the December 2005 edition of the German Ferrari World magazine. As now offered, 037 S remains striking and complete with a historical file including documentation of the engine rebuild, invoices dating to 1989, and copies of FIVA paperwork. While currently sporting Borrani wire-spoke wheels, 037 S is accompanied by the original and very rare “CABO” (Carlo Borrani) steel wheels and retains most of its original features. Fastidiously maintained and well-proven in tours, 037 S carries well-documented show history including display at Düsseldorf and at the Nürburgring, as well as the 2008 edition of the prestigious Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este at Cernobbio Italy, where it was most fittingly displayed in Class E – “Sports Cars in Italian Suits.” Simply handsome in presentation with its sleek fastback Stabilimenti Farina bodylines beautifully accented by its elegant and distinctive two-tone finish, 037 S is a truly wonderful and historic example of Ferrari’s inaugural road-going model line. As such, it will assuredly and most capably anchor any of the world’s finest classic Ferrari collections. Certainly, the late and highly respected automotive journalist Dean Batchelor summed up the essential significance of Ferrari’s 166-based competition and road cars best. Writing in Automobile magazine, he stated, "…the real heart of the Ferrari mystique has always been that blurry distinction between racer and road car – the 166 MM was the model that started the magic." As such, the importance of 037 S, from Ferrari’s original limited-production batch of race-bred road cars on the 166 chassis, simply cannot be overstated.